His is one of our favorite dishes at Banana Leaf Thai! Pad Prik King is a delicious Thai stir-fry dish that features crispy vegetables and flavorful chili paste.
Here’s a recipe to help you make Pad Prik King at home:
– 1 pound (450 grams) boneless chicken, beef, or tofu, sliced into thin strips
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 shallot, thinly sliced
– 2 red or green bell peppers, sliced
– 1 cup green beans, trimmed and halved
– 3 tablespoons red curry paste (adjust according to your spice preference)
– 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce for vegetarian/vegan version)
– 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
– Fresh red chili peppers (optional), sliced for garnish
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the minced garlic and sliced shallot to the hot oil and stir-fry for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
3. Add the chicken, beef, or tofu to the wok and cook until browned and cooked through. If using tofu, make sure it’s well-drained and stir-fry until it develops some crispiness.
4. Push the meat or tofu to one side of the wok and add the red curry paste to the empty space. Stir-fry the curry paste for about 1 minute to release its flavors.
5. Add the sliced bell peppers and green beans to the wok and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened but still crisp.
6. Add the fish sauce (or soy sauce), oyster sauce (optional), and sugar to the wok. Stir-fry everything together for another minute to combine the flavors.
7. Remove the wok from the heat and add the Thai basil leaves. Toss everything together until the basil wilts slightly from the residual heat.
8. Transfer the Pad Prik King to a serving plate and garnish with fresh sliced chili peppers if desired.
9. Serve the Pad Prik King hot with steamed rice or noodles.
Enjoy your homemade Pad Prik King! Or come visit us at Banana Leaf Thai and we will whip it up for you!